Reasons for Gummy Smiles & How to Fix Them
What is a gummy smile?
When a person’s smile shows too much gum tissue, that is referred to as a gummy smile. It can make people feel insecure and want to hide their smile, especially if someone has commented on it in the past.
Why did I get a gummy smile?
The most common reasons of having a gummy smile are as follows:
- Having a short upper lip
- Enlarged gums
- Your teeth appear short – perhaps they are partially covered by your gums, or maybe they haven’t erupted through your gums properly
- If your teeth are small in comparison to your gums – this may be due to wearing of your teeth or genetics
- Your upper lip lifts too high when you are smiling
- Vertical maxillary excess – an overgrowth of your upper jaw that makes your gums bulge
Think of it like a puzzle. If one piece doesn’t fit properly, it can throw everything off.
Can my gummy smile be fixed?
If you have a gummy smile, please know that it doesn’t take away from your attractiveness. It’s also part of what makes you unique. However, if it really bothers you, you can book an appointment for a personalized consultation with your dentist or orthodontist. They may also need to refer you to an oral surgeon.
What are the possible ways to fix a gummy smile?
- Orthodontics may be able to shift your bite
- Laser gum contouring
- Veneers or crowns may help your teeth appear longer to improve the gum to tooth ratio
- Getting your upper jaw recontoured by an oral surgeon
- Undergo a gingivectomy to remove extra gum tissue to expose more of your teeth
- Lip repositioning surgery, along with orthodontic treatment
- Botox (may work when your upper lip is the cause of your gummy smile)
Some of these methods can sound overwhelming, but try not to stress about it before talking with a dental professional. That conversation can set your mind at ease and let you know exactly what you are dealing with.
Looking for a dentist in Surrey, BC? Book an appointment today at Healthy Smiles Family Dentistry.<< Previous post