Enjoy Halloween, But Be Sure to Take Care of Your Teeth!
The pandemic will definitely have an affect on Halloween this year. You may be more reluctant to take your kids out trick-or-treating, but if you do (or just buy them a bunch of candy as a substitute), ensure that they pay a little extra attention to their dental care. With all of that extra sugar swirling around, their teeth are more prone to decay.
The bacteria in your mouth mixes with the sugar and forms an acid, which can then attacks tooth enamel. And the unfortunate thing about tooth enamel, is once it’s gone, it’s gone.
Dental Care Reminders to Talk About With Your Child:
(1) Don’t chew or bite down on hard candies. You could end up cracking or chipping your teeth.
(2) Avoid sticky candies that will literally stick to your teeth.
(3) Rinse your mouth with water to help wash away the sugar.
(4) Brush and floss after eating.
(5) Ideally, consume your candy at mealtimes. There will be more saliva in your mouth.
(6) Consume dairy. Eat or drink dairy after the candy, as this can also reduce acid in the mouth.
Call us at Healthy Smiles Family Dentistry if you have regarding the effects of sugar on your teeth!
Have a Safe & Happy Halloween!<< Previous post