Back to School Dental Reminders
After spending a couple of months on summer break, it can be hard for kids to adjust to the regular school year routine. This includes ensuring that they remember to brush their teeth before they head out the door. Mornings can be so rushed, that it can be easy to forget, therefore, it is great to get into the habit of brushing at the same time each day. Note: studies show that when we brush before we eat, the mouth’s pH will not dip low enough to form cavities.
In addition to brushing, what are some other things to take note of?
- Be sure kids know how to floss and that they do so when they brush – individual flossers are easy to use and less intimidating than a regular roll of dental floss
- Pack healthy lunches with fruits and vegetables – avoid processed foods and sugary treats that can lead to decay
- Minimize starchy foods like pretzels and crackers which can coat the teeth and become a breeding ground for bacteria
- Water is a much better choice than juice or soda
- Ensure all kids participating in contact sports have proper-fitting mouthguards
- Don’t assume that your child’s teeth are healthy just because they don’t complain about pain, as this does not guarantee that they are cavity-free
- Kids who have braces need to be extra diligent with their oral hygiene, as to be sure to properly clean all of the nooks and crannies
- Travel toothbrushes are handy for kids to store in their bags for brushing after lunch
Looking for a family dentist in the Surrey area? We would love to have you at Healthy Smiles Family Dentistry! Call us today at 604-593-8201.