Summer Dental Tips – Take Care of Your Teeth!
Summer is such a busy type of year, which is great…however, when you’re extra active, it can be easier to neglect your regular dental routine. It’s so important to care for your teeth regardless because who needs to get a toothache or some other dental problem during the best time of the year?
- Ideally, you should book an appointment with your dentist for a check-up and a cleaning before you depart on any vacations. That way, if anything is wrong, you can catch it before you run into further problems. Plus, you can’t beat having nice, clean teeth while you’re away!
- Pack your toothbrush and a small toothpaste in your purse / bag so that you have easy access to it while you are on a roadtrip, or during a layover at an airport. You don’t want to let your teeth go hours and hours without a good brushing. Not to mention, they will just feel more comfortable and your breath will be more fresh. If you are unable to brush somewhere, be sure to have some dental floss on you as well – perfect for in between meals.
- Try to make water your priority drink. Not only is it essential for hydration in the warmer weather, it is easy on your teeth! Avoid sugary drinks as much as possible.
- People usually consume more alcohol than usual in July and August, but try not to over-indulge. You definitely want to steer clear of cocktails that are loaded with sugar or lots of fizz. Drink as healthy as possible and drink responsibly!
- Your lips act as a shield to protect your teeth, so be sure to also protect your lips by using a lip balm with SPF in it.
- If you have spare retainers or dentures, bring them. You’ll never know if you run into a problem and need an “emergency” pair. It’s not exactly easy to get these while you are travelling.
- Use a mouthguard for outdoor sporting activities and swimming. You can never be too cautious. It’s much better to be proactive than reactive when it comes to your teeth.
- Look into getting travel insurance that includes emergency dental coverage. This is worth it just for the peace of mind.
The staff at Healthy Smiles Family Dentistry in Surrey wishes everyone a safe and happy summer! We hope to see you for your pre-vacation dental appointment soon! Call us now: 604-593-8201.<< Previous post Next post >>